Our team visited 14 hospitals (Teaching Hospital Jaffna, Chankanai, Chavakachcheri, Point Pedro, Tellipalai, Mannar, Vavuniya, Oddusuddan, Kilinochchi, Mullaitivu, Puthukkudiyiruppu, Karainagar, Trincomalee and Batticaloa) in the N&E and identified that they needed equipment and training for cardio-pulmonary resuscitation and managing deteriorating patients.
Members of our team have conducted training sessions in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation at some of these hospitals over the past few years.
Your generosity at our fund-raising events in April 2014 and September 2015 helped us to raise money to:
- Purchase and donate 15 defibrillators (10 semi-automated and 5 automated), 12 cardiac monitors, 6 syringe pumps (to give medicines slowly into the vein), 6 infusion pumps (to give fluid slowly into the vein), 20 nebuliser machines (to treat asthma in adults and children), 60 pulse oximeters (oxygen monitoring on the finger), 5 adult and 5 children’s Ambubags (to hand-ventilate in emergency situations), 8 digital blood pressure monitors, stethoscopes and UK Resuscitation Council algorithm posters to these hospitals
- Help to set up a Provincial Simulation Centre (state-of-the-art training centre for resuscitation and other clinical skills) at Teaching Hospital Jaffna.
We have spent £40,000 on these projects.
We have appointed a local officer to co-ordinate with the hospitals in the N&E and monitor the donated equipment.
We need additional funds to enable us to:
- Purchase monitors, defibrillators, transport ventilators and children’s intensive care ventilators for the detection, support and transfer of deteriorating patients, with the aims of preventing and treating cardio-respiratory arrest
- Provide on-going 6-monthly training at the hospitals where we have donated equipment
- Further develop the Provincial Simulation Centre.
Although JMFOA-UK has concentrated mainly on education, we have also supported infrastructural projects, such as repair of a photocopier, subscriptions for journals (Lancet and British Journal of Obsterics and Gynaecology) and donations of textbooks for the libraries at Teaching Hospital, Jaffna and Jaffna Medical Faculty.